Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

NUPTIAL BLISS.
The sky rumbled, rain drops hit the ground fast, with the force it had withheld earlier in the day when it threatened to rain. I tried to calm my nerves with the pop music from my stereo but I knew that was not enough. Dozie was still on my mind.Eventually, I resolved to get to Ada George.                                    
The road was abnormally free, except for the terrible pot holes here and there, which hindered my speed and I hoped would not damage any part of my KIA optima, my birthday present from Dozie. Walking into the estate, I had unconsciously turned visible heads towards my direction ,with my dark blue gown which was some reasonable distance above my knee, enhancing my light skin. Some part of my long hair fluttered around my eyes and I stylishly put it aside as I walked towards the staircase leading to Dozie's apartment. He was sipping a glass of red wine when I walked in. His white and black moustache parted, revealing the flawless dentition of the thirty-nine year old civil engineer as he smiled at me.                    
I did not even fake a smile to please him. "Baby, what's the matter," he began with the subtle voice that I fancied. I remained silent, dropping my pink bag on the bed, I folded both arms across my chest, staring at Dozie. He moved behind me, holding my shoulders.
"What do you take me for," I began with a firm voice I believed would carry me through the conversation however it turned. "Are you alright?" he asked, raising his brow as he took a place on the king sized bed. "Of course I'm not, how can I be alright with all the deceptive stories of you being a single parent".                  
"Where is that coming from?" he asked. "Incredible, do I sense any attempt to deny your wonderful family, do I ?"I said, staring at him furiously. He remained silent, staring at me in a manner expecting me to exhaust my ranting, this silence raged me even more.                                              
  "You are ignoring me!". There was no response, he switched channels, settling for BET. I stood there in the centre of his well furnished sitting-room, not knowing what to say or do next. I reached for my hand bag, determined to leave but Dozie held me, burying my head in his shoulders.
"Yvonne, I'm sorry. My bad, I should have been honest with you but apparently doing that would have made me loose you. We've come this far, two years together is not something we should waste because of some facts, we can do nothing about right now.I love you and you...".
"Don't go there, don't!"I yelled.
"We shouldn't fight over this," he said.
"Do you think this is funny, I have given you two years of my life Dozie."I said, demonstrating with my fingers in case he did not understand what two years meant to a twenty-six year old girl.
"Yvonne, it's not as terrible as you make it"
"No it isn't, you have a wife and son there in London and you were going to marry me next month if my curiosity didn't lead me to your cell phone." Dozie held me close. I was broken and didn't realize when I let him
kiss me.                
I drove home that night with a feeling I could not describe. I was supposed to be extremely mad at him, for fooling me for too long but here I was still thinking about him.
I lit a stick of cigarette to relieve my heavy heart, emitting the smoke in a carefree manner after each passionate thrust. I should have known all along, I told myself but Dozie exhibited much dexterity when he had lied about being an orphan, starting up a life here in port-harcourt on his own.
All these meant nothing now. I took a look at the ring on my finger and I knew there were just two sides to this; a court marriage with Dozie- after all he was not legally married to his wife, or letting go. I would have settled for the latter but I couldn't deal with the thought of starting all over. We carried on with the wedding and with Angela and her son there in London, I had the privilege of enjoying my marriage until Dozie subsequently told me he was relocating permanently to Nigeria with his family- I realized the huge mess I had walked into with my eyes wide open. by Merit Gogo-fyneface.

3 comments: